শনিবার, ১৯ মে, ২০১২

Farmers Market: Produce Domination | Borderstan

"Strawberries and asparagus" "Borderstan"

Look for strawberries and asparagus at the markets. (Luis Gomez Photos and Alejandra Owens)

From Alejandra Owens. You can find her at her food blog,?One Bite At A Time. Alejandra also writes for?City Eats DC,?a Food Network site, where you can book dinner reservations. Follow her?on Twitter at?@frijolita?and email her at?alejandra[AT]borderstan.com.

I never thought I?d say produce could be a bully, but asparagus and strawberries continue to completely dominate the markets! Not that you won?t see other things out there, but strawberries and asparagus are kinda the stars of the show right now. So I thought I?d take this opportunity to remind you of a couple great recipe round ups we already did AND share a cool tip.

First, we shared six?irresistible?strawberry recipes ? including a cocktail from Todd Thrasher!

Then we gave you five recipes that showcased asparagus in all its green glory.

And now for the tip, which had not even crossed my mind. Today?s tip comes from Robin Schuster, our fearless leader over at the 14th & U Street farmers market:

?? today I want to remind you: never throw away the ends of the asparagus because they make great soup.? In fact, every single asparagus stalk you buy is a two fer.? And the less tender third or half of the stalk makes very flavorful soup.?

Well, duh! How could I have not thought of that! Truth be told, asparagus is prone to creating plenty of waste?and I always have a little memorial for it in my head when I toss it out. No mas! Thanks, Robin, for making me less wasteful but also giving me an excuse to eat even more asparagus while it?s in season!

Do you have a question for me about the markets? Some odd produce? Or maybe a cooking question? Just email me at alejandra[AT]borderstan.com and I?ll answer them in next week?s column! (Oh! And share your best cooking tips too!)

Like reading Borderstan?s Food & Drink stories? Get an?RSS Feed for the F&E Section, or an?RSS Feed for all Borderstan stories.

Related posts:

  1. In Abundance: Asparagus
  2. Seeing Green At The Farmers Market
  3. The Best Thing I Ate Last Week: Farmers Market Edition
  4. The Best Farmers Market In The City
  5. Sunday at Dupont Farmers Market: Help Others Eat Healthy
  6. Help Us Stuff the Bus at Dupont Farmers? Market

lee corso lee corso thanksgiving appetizers greg jennings thanksgiving recipes thanksgiving recipes mashed potato recipe

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন